The National Center on Sleep Disorders Research (NCSDR) and the National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH) consider sleep essential to physical and mental health. Our bodies also require sleep for both rest and repair. Prominent sleep researcher, Matthew Walker PhD, notes that, “Sleep is the single most effective thing you can do to reset the health of your brain and body.”
Moreover, proper sleep is critical for learning, memory, appetite control, metabolic regulation, neural development and cardiovascular health. Unfortunately, a significant portion of adults around the world do not consistently get enough quality sleep. In addition to feeling sluggish and cranky, not getting enough sleep is linked with many chronic diseases and conditions, including inflammation, obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and depression.
One of the fundamental causes of poor sleep is stress. To help combat stress, many of us resort to various less-than-healthy alternatives, which have their own consequences (independent of impairing sleep quality).
However, nature has provided an abundance of safe and effective options to help reduce stress and support better sleep. KSM-66 ashwagandha is a natural, sustainable, and research-backed alternative for individuals wanting better sleep and less stress.
Ashwagandha is a centuries-old plant medicine rooted in Ayurveda that has stood the test of time and continues to be upheld by modern scientific research.
How Ashwagandha Improves Sleep
Lifestyle stress is a major contributor to an individual’s ability to fall asleep. Ashwagandha belongs to a unique class of powerful botanicals known as adaptogens. Adaptogens improve the body’s ability to encounter and recover from stressful situations of all kinds -- physical, emotional, and psychological.
Ashwagandha helps the body adjust to stress and achieve balance via its actions on cortisol -- the primary stress hormone. Essentially, it helps normalize physiological processes during times of increased stress, energizing without over stimulating or calming without sedating (depending on what the body requires. This makes ashwagandha a powerful and natural sleep aid that won’t leave you feeling groggy.
KSM-66 Ashwagandha has been found in multiple studies to help reduce stress.[3,5,7]
In fact, a 2012 study documented that KSM-66 supplementation may help reduce cortisol levels by 27.9% and lower Depression Anxiety Stress Scale (DASS) scores by a remarkable 71.6%!
Shortens Time to Fall Asleep
A common situation for most adults -- you’re exhausted after a long day of work and settle into bed. But once you lay down, your mind starts racing, making it feel like an eternity before you finally get to sleep.
300mg KSM-66 Ashwagandha taken twice daily has been shown to help reduce the time it takes individuals to fall asleep after lying down (also known as sleep latency).
Improves Sleep Quality & Efficiency
Sleep quality is defined as an individual's satisfaction with all aspects of his/her sleep experience and consists of four factors: sleep efficiency, sleep latency, sleep duration, and wake after sleep onset
Note: Sleep efficiency is defined as the ratio between the time a person spends asleep, and the total time dedicated to sleep (both sleeping and attempting to fall asleep or fall back asleep after waking up in the middle of the night).
Sleep quality and sleep efficiency are used by researchers as metrics to track stress management and general health as poor sleep quality contributes to disease or poorer health outcomes. While there are a number of sleep aids available, many of them have undesirable side effects (e.g. feeling groggy upon waking) as well as lead to addiction or tolerance.
KSM-66 ashwagandha has been confirmed by researchers to be a natural, safe, and effective option for improving sleep quality and efficiency.
Recent research published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology examined the effects of KSM-66 Ashwagandha supplementation in both healthy and insomnia individuals. At the end of the 8-week study, the results indicated that KSM-66 supplementation led to significant improvements in sleep parameters as assessed by the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) -- the leading assessment used by sleep researchers.
A prior double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial found that both low (250mg) and high (600mg) doses of KSM-66 ashwagandha were effective for reducing stress and anxiety as well as improving sleep quality.
Most recently, a 2021 systematic review and meta-analysis (a study of studies) on the effects of Ashwagandha and sleep, published in the highly respected PLoS One, found that ashwagandha has a “beneficial effect in improving sleep in adults.”
The meta-analysis included 400 adults and also noted that ashwagandha supplementation improved mental alertness upon rising and lowered anxiety.
KSM-66 is #1 for Sleep
Consistent, high-quality sleep is paramount for productivity, recovery, well-being, and overall health. Unfortunately, millions of individuals around the world struggle with achieving the required amount of deep, restorative sleep to promote optimal mental & physical health.
Ashwagandha is a true gift from nature that has been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine. One that is safe, effective, and offers myriad benefits, including better mood, stress management, hormone health and sleep.
KSM-66 is the premier ashwagandha supplement on the market. It’s backed by more studies than any other ashwagandha and is the de facto choice of executives, biohackers, thought leaders, and the leading sports nutrition brands.
KSM-66 is the only full-spectrum, root-only ashwagandha extract available, backed by the highest number of quality certifications and proven to support individuals across all stages of life -- young, old, healthy, stressed, and more.
For less stress, better sleep, and a higher quality of life, the choice is clear -- KSM-66 Ashwagandha.
- Langade D, Kanchi S, Salve J, et al. (September 28, 2019) Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Insomnia and Anxiety: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study. Cureus 11(9): e5797. DOI 10.7759/cureus.5797
- Langade, D., Thakare, V., Kanchi, S., & Kelgane, S. (2020). Clinical evaluation of the pharmacological impact of ashwagandha root extract on sleep in healthy volunteers and insomnia patients: A double-blind, randomized, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study. Journal of Ethnopharmacology: 264:113276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2020.113276
- Salve J, Pate S, Debnath K, Langade D. Adaptogenic and Anxiolytic Effects of Ashwagandha Root Extract in Healthy Adults: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Clinical Study. Cureus. 2019 Dec 25;11(12):e6466. doi: 10.7759/cureus.6466. PMID: 32021735; PMCID: PMC6979308.
- Kelgane S B, Salve J, Sampara P, et al. (February 23, 2020) Efficacy and Tolerability of Ashwagandha Root Extract in the Elderly for Improvement of General Well-being and Sleep: A Prospective, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study. Cureus 12(2): e7083. DOI 10.7759/cureus.7083
- Chandrasekhar K, Kapoor J, Anishetty S. A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian J Psychol Med. 2012 Jul;34(3):255-62. doi: 10.4103/0253-7176.106022. PMID: 23439798; PMCID: PMC3573577.
- Cheah KL, Norhayati MN, Husniati Yaacob L, Abdul Rahman R. Effect of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) extract on sleep: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2021 Sep 24;16(9):e0257843. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0257843. PMID: 34559859; PMCID: PMC8462692.
- Choudhary D, Bhattacharyya S, Joshi K. “Body Weight Management in Adults Under Chronic Stress Through Treatment with Ashwagandha Root Extract: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial.” J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med. 2017 Jan;22(1)96-106. DOI: 10.1177/2156587216641830.