New York-based technology start-up Plasma Nutrition developed a process that treats ingredients with plasma, which may increase the ingredient’s absorption in the human body. They first tested this process on whey protein and found favorable results in a randomized, controlled trial.
Recently, a published study found that this plasma process may help increase the bioavailability of BCAAs as well.
Meanwhile, California-based Tamarack Biotics developed technology that treats raw milk using ultra violet radiation instead of pasteurization. This means the milk can avoid the very high temperatures that pasteurized milk goes through, keeping all the nutrients of raw milk while removing the dangerous pathogens.
The company is also marketing the resulting treated dairy ingredient under the brand name TruActive. It is, however, still in regulatory limbo and not yet available for sale. The first study on the ingredient was published in Frontiers in Immunology, where researchers found a link between TruActive and increased vaccine response in older adults.
Another target audience for the company are elite athletes. Several studies are being designed to see the potential benefit in this population.
Interested in Sports Nutrition?
The inaugural NutraIngredients-USA Sports Nutrition Summit, in association with the International Society of Sports Nutrition, will bring together leading scientists, brands and retailers, market analysts, and innovators in a unique, market-leading face-to-face event.
The key themes of this event include:
- The “size of the prize”
- The power and importance of social media
- Positioning and differentiation
- Sports nutrition and the military - product use survey data and enhancing the performance of Warfighters
- The State of the Science: Sports, fitness and exercise Nutrition
- Sports Nutrition products and Elite Athletes
- Alphabet soup: Everything brands need to know about GMPs, NDIs, AERs, DASCA, SARMs…
- Bacterial boosts – The microbiome and sports
- Personalization and the digital revolution
- Nootropics & sports nutrition