Ashwagandha Root is becoming a household name – and its potential has yet to be reached. Here’s why you should be a part!
Ashwagandha is one of the most revered adaptogens, used for over five millennia to help restore and support the body’s natural balance. Although Ashwagandha was widely used in ancient times, it was primarily known to only a rather small number of consumers who ventured into Ayurveda and herbalism. Additionally, for those who did seek it out, there was no established clinical evidence as to its efficacy and its mechanisms of action.
As the botanical supplement market became popular among mainstream consumers, there emerged a need to bring superior quality, sustainable Ashwagandha root extract to the market and support it with solid human research.
Currently, Ashwagandha is ranked in the top 40 list among all the herbs in the marketplace. According to the American Botanical Council, Ashwagandha is ranked #7 in the natural channel and #34 in the mass market – a staggering 166% increase from the previous year (Smith T, et al. HerbalGram 2020; 127:54-69).
Data from Google trends indicate that global internet searches for Ashwagandha have doubled over the last 24 months. The Ashwagandha supplements market experienced a 65% YoY growth rate on Amazon, an impressive statistic in relation to other supplement categories’ much lower growth rates on this global market.
The part of the plant is also playing a significant role here. The market potential for ashwagandha’s root is astounding: On Amazon alone, 97% of Ashwagandha sold on the marketplace is made from the roots. Ashwagandha products using the roots are sold at a higher average price ($17.23) than those made from a combination of roots and leaves ($15.45). Despite the premium, consumers are still willing to pay for products derived from roots.
The Roots of KSM-66 Ashwagandha
KSM-66 has catapulted the Ashwagandha market to new heights -- but only less than 10 years ago, it was practically unheard of.
The founders of Ixoreal Biomed Inc. wanted to share the benefits of Ashwagandha Root with the world and formed Ixoreal with the explicit purpose of spreading awareness and use of Ashwagandha Root. It took the team 14 years to develop KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root extract.
Ixoreal Biomed, through its clinically proven ingredient, KSM-66, is virtuously setting examples in the nutraceutical market. Ixoreal Biomed established Ashwagandha as a “go-to” ingredient for all stakeholders (consumers, retailers and brand formulators).
However, it’s not just any Ashwagandha Root extract – KSM-66 is the dominant leader. On Amazon, brands marketing KSM-66 extract as a key element of their formulations saw some of the highest year-over-year growth rates. One product with KSM-66 saw a growth rate of 490%, while another saw a growth rate of 135%, far outpacing overall category growth.
If you work with KSM-66, you join a lofty club -- it is trusted by some of the biggest health and wellness brands around the world such as GSK, Walmart, Mars, Nature’s Bounty, GNC, CVS, Costco, Optimum Nutrition, Solgar, Nestle, Nature's Sunshine, Unilever, Bayer, Reckitt Benckiser, Nature Made, Olly, Youtheory, Centrum, Goli Nutrition, Vitamin Shoppe, Webber Naturals, Garden of Life, Ancient Nutrition, Organify, Muscletech, Walgreens, Vital Proteins, Moon Juice, Optimum Nutrition to name a few.
Fun Fact: Have you wondered how KSM-66 got its name? "KSM" connotes the name of the geographical region in western India where its organic ashwagandha farms are located. This is the place where the best quality ashwagandha roots are grown and cultivated. The "66" connotes the number of attempts it took in a span of 14 years to developing this ingredient to meet all criteria.
Market success of ashwagandha: KSM-66 Reigns Supreme
There are more than 1,000 products worldwide featuring KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root, with more in the pipeline. Here are three that are exemplary.
1. Goli Nutrition disrupts the consumer market with Ashwagandha gummies; partners with Jennifer Lopez
One partner of KSM-66 is Goli Nutrition, which is having success with its Ashwa gummies. In a recently released TV commercial, global superstar Jennifer Lopez reaches for her Goli Ashwagandha Gummies at the start of a workday, hoping they can "help a girl out" as she settles into her desk and watches her email and text notifications skyrocket to unreachable heights. She chews the supplements meant to promote relaxation, evoking "Zen Jen" with a deep breath even as three phones on her desk start ringing simultaneously. Fully in the zone now, Jennifer begins to chant "zennnn Jennn...."
2. Medicine Garden makes KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root the best-selling dietary supplement in Sweden
In Sweden, another partner of KSM-66 by name “MedicineGarden” was founded in 2017 by Tom and Maibritt Johnsson with the singular goal of bringing KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root extract to Sweden. Within one year of launching KSM-66, it became the best-selling supplement in the whole of Sweden in the natural sales channel, and continue to enjoy the category leadership in Scandinavia.
They tell Vitafoods Insights (May 11, 2020) “Until 2013, our favorite adaptogen had always been Rhodiola. But during Natural Products Expo West in 2013, we encountered the Ixoreal Biomed team. We experienced deep knowledge and passion—in combination with honesty and humility—that came from the heart. It was the second year for Ixoreal’s KSM-66 Ashwagandha in the United States; they had already won a “best ingredient of the year” award and had published one study.”
They continued, “By late 2016, there were many more studies on KSM-66 that were well managed and published in high-quality journals. What thrilled us besides the result of the studies was the mechanism of action. KSM-66 Ashwagandha worked deeper and more effectively on stress resistance than anything we had seen before. We believed 100% in the product and in Ixoreal; therefore, the aim was clear: to be number one in the adaptogen/stress segment.”
3. Goop launches an Ashwagandha Root product; gets on SNL
One of the world’s most luxurious wellness purveyors, GOOP, has launched an energy bodywash with Ashwagandha, touting it as a powerful adaptogen that awaken the senses and uplift the spirit, the emotions, and the whole body.
8 Factors that Make KSM-66 The World’s Best Ashwagandha Root
KSM-66 paved the way to establish the Ashwagandha market throughout the globe. Ixoreal has experienced exponential growth of KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root extract with more than 55% market share of all ashwagandha root extracts and is now on the verge of setting up its fourth manufacturing unit. With 1000+ products spread across more than 45 countries, Ixoreal Biomed’s KSM-66 is the leading Ashwagandha Root extract because of 8 compelling factors.
KSM-66 has found its place in more than 1000 products across the globe.
1. The best-selling Ashwagandha in the world today: Ixoreal's KSM-66 is in more than 1000 products from leading companies across the globe including the top supplement brands
2. Breakthrough innovation in botanical extraction: After 14 years of extensive R&D, KSM-66 is the highest concentration, full-spectrum and highly bio-available ashwagandha root extract available on the world market today.
3. Award-winning scientific program: Supported by 24 scientific studies, in partnership with respected academic researchers.
4. Exemplary standards of safety and quality: KSM-66 is the botanical with the highest number of quality certifications (36 in total) on the market
5. Sustainability and transparency with vertical integrated supply chain: Ixoreal is the only Ashwagandha manufacturer in the world to own the entire value chain in producing an extract. Ixoreal has its own organic-certified farms, production facilities, testing laboratories, research center and distribution. Ixoreal is a company driven by high corporate social responsibility and sustainable, organic farming.
6. Global stewardship of Ashwagandha: Ixoreal has won plaudits for serving as "custodian" of traditional Ayurvedic practices and is building greater acceptance of Ashwagandha and Ayurvedic herbs.
7. Winner of several accolades: KSM-66 has been the recipient of several awards every year.
8. Palatable: KSM-66 has a great taste profile making it a suitable choice for use in several delivery formats.
KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root extract has opened the floodgates to healthy living by educating the world about Ashwagandha Root’s extraordinary spectrum of benefits.