Recent studies by NSF International found that some supplements in the global market contain harmful ingredients and contaminants, including drugs and untested compounds such as DMAA, DEPEA, DMBA and oxilofrine.
This paper explores:
• Recent examples of sports supplement contamination
• Potential causes and solutions for manufacturers and retailers to ensure quality and safety in the supply chain
• What sports supplement manufacturers can do to ensure ingredients and finished products are safe
• How athletes and consumers can avoid potentially harmful ingredients
• The ingredients most commonly associated with untested and potentially harmful compounds