As per allied market research, the global sleep aids market is on rapid growth and is projected to reach an estimated value of around US $111.9 billion by 2030, with an annual growth rate of 6.9%.¹
The continuous rising of sleep issues emphasizes the urgent need for effective solutions. As awareness about the critical role of sleep in overall wellbeing expands, the sleep industry, often referred to as the "sleep economy”, is gaining recognition and momentum.
Insomnia, characterized by difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, is a common sleep disorder affecting millions of people worldwide. It is typically followed by low energy levels, daytime sleepiness, irritability, and a sense of depression.
Insomnia can be short-term, lasting for days or weeks, or long-term, persisting for more than a month. It can occur independently or result from secondary effects of various conditions, including psychological stress, chronic pain, hyperthyroidism, heartburn, restless leg syndrome, menopause, certain medications, and the consumption of substances like caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. Other risk factors include working night shifts and sleep apnea.
Diagnosis is typically based on sleep habits and an examination to identify underlying causes. It's noteworthy that insomnia tends to affect people over the age of 65 more than younger individuals, and females are more often affected than males. The primary approach to addressing stress and insomnia involves lifestyle changes and adherence to good sleep hygiene practices.
Passion flower: A plant-based sleep support
Passion flower also known as Passiflora incarnata is widely used for treating anxiety or nervousness, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), insomnia, neuralgia, convulsion, spasmodic asthma, palpitations, cardiac rhythm abnormalities, hypertension etc. It has shown a calming effect, which helps to reduce stress, and can therefore be helpful in the treatment of insomnia, anxiety, and depression. Research studies indicate that passion flower has a positive effect on sleep patterns.
Passion flower (Passiflora) reduces the time to fall asleep and increases the duration of sleep. Looking at the activities of Passiflora incarnata (aerial parts) extract, a hypothesis was postulated that it would be useful in the management of stress and insomnia.
Passiflora authenticity – various clinical studies
- While many plant extracts contain amino acids, Passiflora extracts were found to have the highest GABA content of 21 examined plants. Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is an amino acid that functions as the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter for the central nervous system (CNS). GABA helps to lower the hyperactivity of some brain cells, which helps to reduce anxiousness and improve calm sleep.²
- Shortening of sleep latency and increasing in the amount of SWS (slow wave sleep) produced by the extracts of Passiflora incarnata suggest that this plant possesses adequate properties to be considered as sleep inducer. These characteristics could be profited in the treatment of insomniac patients complaining about problems related to sleep onset.³
- Scientific study says Vitexin (Present in passion flower extract) is an apigenin flavone glycoside & has a variety of pharmacological effects, including antioxidant, pain relief, and neuroprotective calming effects.⁴
SIVI, a revolutionary ingredient for good quality sleep
Recognizing the potential of Passion flower, JK Botanicals has dedicated its state-of-the-art research and development team to craft an innovative passion flower extract aimed at enhancing sleep quality and reducing stress. The result is Sleep Inducing Vitexin (SIVI).
SIVI is clinically proven 100% pure Passiflora Incarnata (Passion flower) standardized extract, carefully formulated to enhance the quality of sleep. Distinguished by its exceptional variety of Passiflora Incarnata, SIVI exhibits the highest concentration of vitexin, the key component responsible for its outstanding efficacy. JK Botanicals’ unique and standardized extraction process ensures the extraction of the most potent bio-active principles. This makes SIVI ideal for those aiming to incorporate a high-quality sleep-enhancing ingredient into their product applications.
To maintain consistent quality in its produce, JK Botanicals employs a sustainable approach by utilizing the roots of existing plants to initiate the cycle for new cultivation, ensuring authenticity and sustainability.
SIVI's Clinical Validation: A game-changer for sleep quality
The clinical outcomes of studies on SIVI have been nothing short of groundbreaking. JK Botanicals conducted a Gold Standard, clinical study titled - “A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-centric, interventional, prospective clinical study, to evaluate efficacy and safety of SIVI (passion flower extract) in participants with sleep and stress problems”.
- 41.1% reduction in patient reported time to sleep onset
- Statistically significant 35% reduction in insomnia
- 66.8% reduction in patient–reported number of awakenings in night
- 40% reduction in FSS (Fatigue Severity Scale)
- Statistically significant 21% reduction in stress levels
- Proven no side-effects on liver and kidney as per blood laboratory reports in 30 days
These outcomes demonstrate SIVI's potential to transform the sleep aid industry. Its ability to reduce insomnia, enhance sleep duration, and alleviate stress makes it a valuable addition to natural sleep remedies.
SIVI is versatile for various applications, including sleep supplements, nutraceuticals, stress relief formulations, wellness capsules, relaxation beverages, herbal teas, gummies, infused chocolate, chewing gum, jelly and more. Its adaptability makes it a valuable ingredient for enhancing a wide range of products geared towards promoting wellbeing and relaxation.
In a world where sleep is often compromised, SIVI offers an ultimate solution. It incorporates the authenticity and sustainability of natural remedies. As the sleep industry continues to evolve, SIVI stands as a testament to the power of nature in promoting wellbeing.
1. GlobeNewswire. Sleep Aids Market Is Expected to Reach $111.9 Billion by 2030, Claims Allied Market Research.
2. Elsas, S. M.; Rossi, D. J.; Raber, J.; et al. (2010). Passiflora incarnata L. (Passionflower) extracts elicit GABA currents in hippocampal neurons in vitro, and show anxiogenic and anticonvulsant effects in vivo, varying with extraction method. Phytomedicine : international journal of phytotherapy and phytopharmacology. 17(12), 940–949.
3. Guerrero, F. A.; & Medina, G. M. (2017). Effect of a medicinal plant (Passiflora incarnata L) on sleep. Sleep science (Sao Paulo, Brazil). 10(3), 96–100.
4. Babaei, F.; Moafizad, A.; Darvishvand, Z.; et al. (2020). Review of the effects of vitexin in oxidative stress-related diseases. Food science & nutrition. 8(6), 2569–2580.