News in brief
Health Canada issues two NPNs for Natural Remedies’ BacoMind
The NPNs relate to the company’s Bacopa monnieri ingredient, which is supported by five human clinical studies* in adults and children, including a human clinical safety study. These studies served as the basis for Health Canada’s approval, said Abey Thomas, Head of Global Marketing for Natural Remedies.
The first NPN, # 80111110 is for BacoMind Children. It carries the claims, “Helps to support cognitive function in children. Helps to support brain health in children.” Recommended dosage is 225 mg per day for children and teens (aged 6 to 18).
The second, #80111109 is for BacoMind Adult. It carries the claims, “Supports brain health. Helps to support cognitive health and brain performance. Helps to support memory.” Recommended doses for adults is 300 to 450 mg per day.
“BacoMind is a true full-spectrum Bacopa monnieri extract with nine bioactives that synergize to promote cognitive wellness and neurological health and is also the first Bacopa to be GRAS,” said Deepak Mundkinajeddu, PhD, Natural Remedies’ Head of R&D, in a press release.
Commenting on the potential mechanisms of action of BacoMind, Dr Mundkinajeddu explained that it’s actions on neurotransmission are likely mediated through inhibition of COMT and PEP, its neuroprotective actions have contributions through inhibition of ROS and PARP.
In addition to these biochemical mechanisms, it has also been shown to promote dendrite proliferation indicating possibilities of beneficial neuronal morphological changes, he said.
* The five supporting studies are:
1. Morgan and Stevens. Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine 2010, Vol. 16, pp. 753-759.
2. Barbhaiya et al. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2008, Vol. 3, pp. 425-434.
3. Usha et al. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2008, Vol. 3(4): pp. 302-310.
4. Dave et al. Advances in Mind-Body Medicine 2014, Vol. 28(2), pp. 10-15.
5. Unpublished: 23 healthy adults who took 300 mg BacoMind per day for 15 days followed by 450 mg per day for the next 15 days were evaluated for adverse effects; the researchers found that BacoMind is safe for human consumption.