Lysulin secures patent for diabetes supplement

By Danielle Masterson

- Last updated on GMT

© Getty Images Tatyana Abramovich
© Getty Images Tatyana Abramovich

Related tags Diabetes mellitus type 2 Vitamin c lysine Zinc

Lysulin, Inc. recently announced the company has landed a patent approval for their flagship product Lysulin, a first-in-class dietary supplement formulated for those with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.

About 88 million Americans (1 in 3) have prediabetes, a type 2 diabetes precursor. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the need to prevent diabetes has never been greater. Over 34 million Americans have diabetes (about 1 in 10), with nearly all of them (90-95%) having type 2 diabetes.

In addition to the risk of serious health problems, the disease is costly. About 1 in 4 health care dollars is spent on people with diagnosed diabetes. The CDC estimates that those diagnosed with diabetes incur an average of $16,750 annually in medical expenses. 

The patent 

The patented formulation contains a proprietary blend of three essential nutrients: lysine, zinc and vitamin C, and provides a new approach for blood glucose management over the counter. 

Lysulin’s approved patents include the prevention of protein glycation using Lysine supplements to monitor blood sugar control and as a method of diabetes support using a supplement.

“This patent strengthens our company by providing protection from copycat manufacturers,” ​said Lysulin CEO John F. Burd, PhD. “We are very pleased with the performance of Lysulin and we have helped many people with diabetes and prediabetes to better health.”

Burd said it typically takes four or five years for a patent on average, however, “One of the few benefits of being old is when you're over 65 you get to go to the front of the line. So we filed these patents in 2017, and they're already issued. So that's kind of lightning fast for the patent office,”​ he laughed, referring to a section under the consolidated patent rules that gives priority to applicant’s who are 65 or older. 

The science 

According to a Sri Lanka study​ that Burd co-authored, “Lysine is an essential amino acid that plays a major role in calcium absorption, building muscle protein, and the body’s production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies. It has also shown numerous beneficial effects in the treatment/prevention of diabetes and/or its complications in in-vivo animal and human studies. In diabetes-induced animal models, lysine has shown a beneficial effect in lowering blood glucose as well as acting as an inhibitor of protein glycation.” 

The study suggests that lysine may play a role in the reduction of blood glucose as well as on the progression of diabetes. 

Another cohort which was co-authored by Burd and funded by Lysulin, is a pilot double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study​. Substantial reductions in Hemoglobin A1C test levels were observed in participants taking Lysulin as compared to those taking a placebo. Improved insulin resistance and beta cell function were also observed.

According to Burd, Lysulin stands out because it gets to the root of the problem by targeting the cause of diabetes. He explained that when glucose accumulates in the blood, it attaches to protein, making it dangerous to other parts of the body such as the heart, kidneys, blood vessels and eyes. Lysulin prevents glucose from binding to protein. Burd said that Lysulin attaches to glucose so it can be excreted from the body to help maintain healthy levels of A1C blood sugar. 


Burd told NutraIngredients-USA​ that Lysulin takes time before it shows improvements in blood sugar. “People expect it to be like insulin where you take insulin and your blood sugar immediately drops. Lysulin takes a month to see if it works or not and it does work for 70% of people who use it. I was really bummed out when we saw that 70% statistic in our clinical studies, but I Googled it and pharmacy executives say that their drugs only work in 30-50% of people who use them. So we're running at 70%, so 7 out of 10 people could help themselves with Lysulin. And we're trying to figure out why the other 30% is not being helped and we're doing some studies to try and figure that out to see if we can fix it and make it a 100%.”

Delivery system

Lysulin is chewable tablet that is gluten free, vegetarian and vegan. It is available without a prescription and can be purchased at the Lysulin website.

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

NAD+ Booster NMNH Proved for Safety and Efficacy

NAD+ Booster NMNH Proved for Safety and Efficacy

Content provided by Effepharm Ltd | 02-May-2024 | Product Brochure

NMNH, short for Reduced Beta-Nicotinamide Mononucleotide, refers to the reduced form of NMN. Preclinical studies show that NMNH demonstrates a remarkable...

Related suppliers

Follow us


View more