Plexus Worldwide recently launched a 3-day nutritionally supported fast system designed to help reset the metabolism. The direct seller of health and wellness products said the new system is aimed at revitalizing, restoring and resetting whole-body health.
Because prolonged low calorie diets can lead to physiological changes that may cause the body to adapt to the calorie restriction and prevent further weight loss, intermittent fasting (IF) is gaining popularity. IF addresses the problem by cycling between a low calorie level for a brief time followed by normal eating, which could prevent these adaptations.
Dr. Michael Hartman, PhD, Vice President of Research and Development at Plexus Worldwide, told NutraIngredients-USA that Reset was inspired by the emerging field of research around intermittent fasting and metabolism. “While studies show numerous benefits associated with intermittent fasting, it's challenging for many people to completely fast (have no food for days). Plexus Reset provides the same benefits as intermittent fasting while reducing certain challenges such as hunger and lack of satiety. It allows the general public to get the benefits of intermittent fasting in a manageable way.”
Plexus Reset consists of eight products that support overall health and wellness and contain a blend of proprietary supplements with functional ingredients to support healthy cellular metabolism.
The system, which runs $149, includes a combination of newcomers along with existing top sellers designed to work synergistically:
Plexus Lean Whey Milk Chocolate is a newly reformulated meal replacement shake that contains vitamins and minerals, along with prebiotic fiber, polydextrose, and digestive enzymes to support overall digestive and microbiome health.
- Plexus Lean Whey Milk Chocolate is a newly reformulated meal replacement shake that contains vitamins and minerals, along with prebiotic fiber, polydextrose, and digestive enzymes to support overall digestive and microbiome health.
- Plexus Hydrate Lemon Lime is a flavored drink mix that delivers a proprietary blend of electrolytes, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamin C for hydration.
- Plexus Slim Hunger Control is a targeted weight management supplement formulated with a calorie-smart prebiotic fiber, polydextrose, which helps signal satiety, and chromium, which aims to support healthy glucose metabolism.
- Plexus Active is a performance supplement containing natural caffeine sources, citrulline malate, and S7, an antioxidant-rich blend of plant extracts that provides clean, long-lasting energy without jitters, as well as enhanced mental clarity from L-theanine.
- Collagen Bone Broth is a new offering is a savory beef flavored bone broth that provides amino acids and 20 grams of grass-fed bovine collagen per serving.
- Collagen Soup is a new tomato herb soup with hydrolyzed bovine collagen, tomato concentrate powder (rich in lycopene), and Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a nutritional yeast.
- Smart Snack is a new vanilla bar containing 7 grams of protein per serving and a hint of matcha.
- Plexus Restore is designed to restore balance to the body's systems; support gut health, digestive function, liver function, and a healthy stress response; and support the body's natural defenses against environmental toxins. This supplement is also a new addition.
Hartman explained that there are several supporting products that provide nutrients and serve three functions. First, the combination of spinach, spirulina, and aloe vera support healthy liver function and provide potent antioxidants for cellular repair. Secondly, ginger root and peppermint leaf offer good digestive function and gut health. Lastly, hibiscus flower powder, yeast hydrolysate, magnolia bark, and berberine hydrochloride help temporarily suppress appetite. The yeast hydrolysate (from Saccharomyces cerevisiae) specifically controls the sensation of hunger through the gut-brain axis by decreasing the secretion of ghrelin, sending satiety signals to the brain, and reducing the desire to overeat.
How it works
“A metabolic reset equips your body to burn fat as the primary energy source,” said Hartman. “Research shows a distinct increase in ketone metabolism with nutritionally supported fasting. Ketones are potent signaling molecules that are produced in the liver from the breakdown of stored fatty acids. Ketones are extremely efficient as a fuel source, producing more energy (ATP) than carbohydrates, which allows greater preservation of lean muscle tissue during the fast. There have been many encouraging studies showing how ketone bodies may reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders, and cognitive decline.”
Research in the works
The clinical trial is currently recruiting and registered on ClinicalTrials.gov. Hartman said he expects top line results to be available this fall.
“The purpose of this study is to document the efficacy of the Plexus Reset program on body weight as well as parameters of metabolism and metabolic flexibility. This study will also provide data on the acute response of the program as well as identify the potential underlying physiological mechanisms through which the program may elicit improvements.”