Glanbia offers highly bioavailable CoQ10 with cheaper manufacturing costs

By Danielle Masterson

- Last updated on GMT

Getty Images
Getty Images

Related tags Coq10 Glanbia

Through technology developed by Anthem Biosciences, Glanbia Nutritionals’ latest offering is CoQ10 (ActiQuinol 10) in powdered Ubiquinol form. This allows for a more simplified manufacturing process while providing consumers with a more bioavailable form of the compound.

The company said this method achieves a number of benefits, such as no sensitivity to oxygen exposure, no stabilizers needed, a consistently white in color powder format, and decreased manufacturing costs. 

Studies comparing ActiQuinol 10 to CoQ10 yielded positive results

A three-month stability study found that ActiQuinol 10 maintained 100% stability while standard Ubiquinol oxidized by 95%, leaving just 5% remaining. During the same time period, ActiQuinol 10 remained white in color while standard Ubiquinol turned yellow after only one day, making it less stable. ActiQuinol 10 is highly bioavailable, scoring around 3.9 times higher than Ubiquinone and about 1.11 times higher than standard Ubiquinol.

“ActiQuinol 10 is an integral addition to our robust portfolio of bioactive solutions,”​ said Josh Stewart, global product manager at Glanbia Nutritionals. “It provides our customers with another scientifically backed and health beneficial ingredient to formulate into their products while also making the manufacturing process by which they do so much easier.”

ActiQuinol 10 can be formulated in tablets, capsules, or gummies. Durrell Washington, Glanbia's senior product marketing manager, told NutraIngredients-USA that the ingredient is ideal for any manufacturer currently formulating with or thinking of formulating with a CoQ10 powder. "It allows for several improvements in the manufacturing process while also providing their customer base with a more bioavailable source of the material."

Health benefits 

Clinical research focusing on substantiating the role of CoQ10 supplementation in the treatment or prevention of different indications has been very limited. However, research in assessing its potential role in cancer, anti-aging, and eye conditions has picked up in recent years. The growing awareness of its benefits is expected to offer lucrative opportunities in the coming years. 

CoQ10 is widely used as a supplement for addressing cardiovascular issues and for alleviating statin-induced adverse effects. The compound is also marketed on its antioxidant benefits. The growing demand of such supplements and anti-aging products by older consumers is also expected to fuel coenzyme Q10 industry size. According to Global Market Insights, "Worldwide the Coenzyme Q10 market was valued at $350 million in 2015 and will collect considerable revenue with an annual growth rate of more than 10% over the period of 2016 to 2024."

Related news

Related products

show more

NAD+ Booster NMNH Proved for Safety and Efficacy

NAD+ Booster NMNH Proved for Safety and Efficacy

Content provided by Effepharm Ltd | 02-May-2024 | Product Brochure

NMNH, short for Reduced Beta-Nicotinamide Mononucleotide, refers to the reduced form of NMN. Preclinical studies show that NMNH demonstrates a remarkable...

Related suppliers

Follow us


View more