AIDP adds list of Canadian prebiotic health claims to prebiotic’s regulatory, science suite
The new claims, which were approved by Health Canada from a submission prepared by contract research organization and regulatory consultancy NutraSource.
PreticX is a xylooligosaccharide ingredient. According to AIDP, it is now the sole prebiotic ingredient with such a complete list of approved claims.
List of approved claims
The approved claims for a 1.4 gram dosage of PreticX 70% read as follows:
- is a Prebiotic/A source of prebiotic
- helps support intestinal/gastrointestinal health
- benefits/increases levels of healthy GI bacteria such as Bifidobacteria
- helps stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria (such as Bifidobacteria) in the intestine/gut
- supports healthy metabolic function
- helps support and maintain a healthy digestive system;
- helps improve bowel/intestinal regularity
- helps provide gentle relief of constipation and diarrhea/bowel irregularity.
AIDP: Claims back safety, quality
Jennifer Gu, PhD, AIDP’s vice president of R&D, said the new approved claims add to the already robust scientific and regulatory backing for the ingredient.
“In addition to the success in Canada PreticX is FDA GRAS, and NDI in the US, has EFSA Novel food and is Project Non-GMO Verified and is available in100% Organic grades . Certifications give customers a quality assurance and provide scientific integrity. Certifications also provide our customers solid legal status when they launch products using our ingredients, which is the first line of requirements from many multinational companies,” Gu told NutraIngredients-USA.
“One of the major concerns for many supplement consumers are the safety of these products, Having governmental approval provides a vote of confidence regarding the safety of quality of the products,” Gu added.