Clinical trial supports absorption, assimilation of magnesium from Jigsaw Health’s MagSRT

By Stephen Daniells contact

- Last updated on GMT

Clinical trial supports absorption, assimilation of magnesium from Jigsaw Health’s MagSRT
Daily supplementation with the commercial MagSRT product improved serum magnesium levels by 22%, and reduced magnesium deficiency symptoms by 63%, according to a recent clinical trial.

The placebo-controlled study, which included 91 adults, also found that 90 days of supplementation with MagSRT increased red blood cell magnesium by 30%. The results were published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition​.

“The Scottsdale Magnesium Study is the first peer-reviewed clinical trial of a time-release magnesium supplement versus a placebo,”​ said Dr Decker Weiss, a naturopathic cardiologist and principal investigator in the study. “Considering that 75% of participants had suboptimal magnesium levels at baseline, we were extremely pleased about the significant increases in magnesium serum and magnesium RBC, and the corresponding decrease in magnesium deficiency symptoms in the MagSRT group.”

‘Necessary for over 300 biochemical reactions’

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) lists magnesium as being necessary for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body, from helping maintain normal muscle and nerve function, to keeping heart rhythm steady, supporting a healthy immune system, and keeping bones strong. The mineral is also needed for blood sugar management and healthy blood pressure. 

Magnesium © Getty Images vchal
© Getty Images / vchal

The science and positive regulatory decisions have led to increased interest from consumers in magnesium and this has led to increasing sales. However, between 70 and 80% of the US population do not meet their recommended intakes of magnesium.

The new study used Jigsaw Health​’s best-selling MagSRT, formulated with dimagnesium malate and sustained release technology that uses plant fibers (microcrystalline cellulose and hydroxypropyl cellulose). This sustains the release over an eight hour period, explained Patrick Sullivan Jr., co-founder and CEO of Jigsaw Health. About 40% happens in the first two hours, with the other 60% over the next six hours. “Magnesium is hydrophilic, meaning it draws water, so you don’t want to dump 500 mg of magnesium into the system at once,”​ added Sullivan.

Study details

Dr Weiss and his co-workers randomized 91 adults to receive either MagSRT (containing 500 mg dimagnesium malate plus vitamins B6, B12, and folate) or placebo for 30 days. A subset of MagSRT participants (24) continued the trial for 90 days.

Results showed that over 75% of the participants had suboptimal serum and RBC magnesium status at the start of the study. After 30 and 90 days, RBC magnesium increased 6% and 30%, respectively, “suggesting magnesium absorption and uptake into red blood cells over time”,​ wrote the researchers.  

In addition, magnesium deficiency symptoms, which range from poor memory and lack of concentration to muscle spasms and cramps, improved 28% and 63% over 30 and 90 days, respectively. The data also showed that MagSRT was well tolerated by 91% of magnesium intervention participants.

“This study confirms what customers have been sharing with us about MagSRT,” ​said Sullivan. “There’s now published data validating why MagSRT has been so popular with consumers...it works. Magnesium gets into the Serum and the Red Blood Cells, and people can feel the difference.”

Growing awareness

Jigsaw Health conducted a consumer awareness study​ last year and found that over 9 out of 10 US consumers are aware of magnesium but nearly 7 out of 10 are unaware of the specific health benefits it provides

Around 17% of participants were currently taking a magnesium supplement.

Source: Journal of the American College of Nutrition
Published online ahead of print, doi: 10.1080/07315724.2017.1398686
“Scottsdale Magnesium Study: Absorption, Cellular Uptake, and Clinical Effectiveness of a Timed-Release Magnesium Supplement in a Standard Adult Clinical Population”
Authors: D. Weiss, et al.

Related news

Related products

show more

TRADITIONAL HERBS TO SUPPORT BRAIN HEALTH

TRADITIONAL HERBS TO SUPPORT BRAIN HEALTH

SABINSA | 08-Aug-2019 | Technical / White Paper

This white paper discusses traditional plants in Ayurveda which have been used to support cognitive function and memory, and their active phytochemicals....

Pycnogenol® Improves Visible Signs of Aging

Pycnogenol® Improves Visible Signs of Aging

Horphag Research (USA) Inc. | 05-Aug-2019 | Infographic

Decades of research on Pycnogenol®, French maritime pine bark extract have shown it effectively improves visible signs of aging by improving skin hydration...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars