An online event hosted by NutraIngredients-USA tomorrow, July 13, will delve into issues surrounding this category of products.
The presenters will include:
- Rick Kingston, president of regulatory and scientific affairs at SafetyCall International and a clinical professor in the University of Minnesota School of Pharmacy
- Roy Upton, founder of the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia
- Michael McGuffin, president of the American Herbal Products Association
- Mark Blumenthal, founder of the American Botanical Council,
- Steven Dentali, industry consultant and former chief scientific officer of AHPA
- Marc Brush, industry consultant and former NBJ editor.
In a webinar titled, Risk and Rewards of Botanicals will look at what some consider to be the risks of these products as well as some of the power benefits they can have. Kingston will look what some consider to be the risks connected to the use of products based on botanicals. He has extensive experience in helping companies manage adverse event reporting. The data gleaned from that as well as from other sources leads him to conclude that there is very little risk posed by these products. Upton, who has decades of experience in clincal herbal practice, will lay out some of the benefits herbs can have, which run the gamut from cognitive and mood support to weight management all the way up to being studied as potent adjuncts in cancer treatment.
Another webinar, titled Current Issues in Botanicals Marketplace will look at subjects such as what is the state of consumer awareness as well as what some of the hot ingredients are. The category will look at what some of the big wins have been for herbal products and will look at some of the regulatory questions that hover around the category. The webinar will also look at the current state of adulteration and what might be done about it.
Two other webinars will be hosted by sponsors of the event. Anurag Pande, PhD, vice president of scientific affairs for Sabinsa Corporation will look at how botanicals can rise to the challenge of the twenty-first century, that is, to help quell the spread of lifestyle conditions such as obesity and diabetes. And John Minatelli, senior vice president of Valensa International will host a webinar that looks at adulteration in the saw palmetto market.
Online botanicals event
For more information and to register for this FREE event, click here.