The new facility will replace the company’s aging Irwindale, CA operation and should be operational by Q1 2018.
“The decision to build a new site represents the next step in our aggressive transformation of Nellson under Kohlberg & Company’s ownership,” said Jamie Better, Nellson’s CEO.
“In Montreal, we have best-in-class bar making capabilities in the former MultiBar facility and our Lachine facility, where we recently invested over $15 million to expand capacity and upgrade our operations; we also just completed a $10 million upgrade and expansion of our Anaheim powder plant. These investments reflect our determination to be the co-manufacturing partner of choice for the leading brands in the nutritional bar and functional powder marketplace.”
The new facility will include:
• Approximately 300,000 square feet under one roof for optimal efficiency, increased capacity and expansion space to support future growth
• State-of-the-art R&D lab to support corporate R&D efforts, commercial scale-up, and testing of customer formulations
• Segregated production lines which provide brand confidentiality, maximum allergen control, food safety, and efficient sanitation, as well as flexible scheduling
• Additional process capabilities for new product formats and shapes
• New packaging capabilities to support on-trend consumer demands