The claims relate to the suncare-from-within ingredient NutroxSun and PLX, its sports nutrition bioactive.
Health Canada approved three claims for NutroxSun, including:
• Helps to improve the skin’s response to small amounts of UV-induced oxidative stress
• Helps reduce wrinkle depth and increase skin elasticity
• Provides antioxidants
The agency approved five claims for PLX, including:
• Helps with the management of joint discomfort due to sport injury
• Improves lipid profile (HDL)
• When taken by healthy persons in combination with regular exercise, helps decrease muscular (myoglobin) and hepatic (gamma-glutamyl transferase) damage markers
• Helps to increase the activity of antioxidant enzyme catalase (lymphocytes and erythrocytes) when combined with regular exercise
• Consumption helps increase the activity of glutathione-dependent antioxidant enzymes in erythrocytes when combined with regular exercise
“We’re delighted that Health Canada has reviewed the science for these ingredients and found it to be strong,” said Fernando Cartegena, Head of Global Marketing at Monteloeder. “The eight approvals they have granted us will open up a world of opportunities for our customers in this important market.”
NutroxSun is described as a blend of natural grapefruit and rosemary extracts, while PLX is described as a proprietary extract from the leaves of the lemon verbena plant. Both ingredients are currently distributed in Canada by CK Ingredients, which is based in Toronto.