Tapping into steady emulsifiers market

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Fatty acids, Nutrition, Fat, Food

Leading Japanese emulsifier supplier Riken Vitamin is set to boost
production at its subsidiary in Malaysia with the opening of a new
plant this week. High hopes to increase market share.

Rikevita, the Malaysian subsidiary of which Yen 2.5 billion Riken Vitamin has a 90 per cent slice and Mitsubishi the remaining 10 per cent, was established in 1991 as the first overseas plant of Riken Vitamin to produce distilled monoglyceride.

In response to a rise in market demand, Rikevita set the wheels in motion in 2001 to increase capacity for the production of emuslifiers.

"In order to meet increasing market demand for our products, we have injected another RM 109 million in the new high tech automated plant,"​ said Mamoru Hara, managing director of Rikevita this week.

The company has high hopes that the increase in production capacity of the new emulsifier plant will shoot it to one of the top global spots as a producer of emulsifiers.

The new 'state-of-art' emulsifier plant produces a wide range of emulsifiers such as glycerol ester of fatty acids, organic acid ester of fatty acids, polyglycerol ester of fatty acids, propylene glycol esters of fatty acids and sorbitan ester of fatty acids.

The emusifiers are mainly for use in food products such as bread, cakes, tofu, dairy, ice cream, noodle, fats and oil. More than 90 per cent of Rikevita's products are exported worldwide.

Emulsifiers, a subset of surfactants, are commonly used in many food products. An emulsion is a dispersion of small droplets of one immiscible liquid within another. Emulsifiers keep the droplets from coalescing. Although these food additives may offer some degree of emulsification, they also perform important functions in baked goods, such as starch complexing, protein strengthening and aeration.

The use of emulsifiers in foods has risen steadily over the past two decades, driven by the expansion of food production and the development and increased use of modern food processing techniques.

Related topics: Omega-3s & Nutritional oils

Related products

show more

The Elegance of Expeller Pressed

The Elegance of Expeller Pressed

Bunge Oils | 22-May-2019 | Technical / White Paper

Simply put: today’s consumers want food, simply. Shoppers are choosing products with fewer ingredients that are closer to the fresh foods they know. One...

Vegan Weight Management INNOBIO CLA TG

Vegan Weight Management INNOBIO CLA TG

INNOBIO Limited | 19-Nov-2018 | Technical / White Paper

INNOBIO® is announcing the launch of a new vegan CLA TG powder. It can easily be incorporated into a wide range of natural foods and supplements and is...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Featured Events

View more

Products

View more

Webinars